Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Interesting weekend -**some of this may be triggering**

I received a call from my sister this weekend. It was a nice call, but one that I really had to swallow hard a few times, and just listen. I could not allow myself to get upset, as I had been missing her...and wanted desperately to speak with her.

This is the first time we have spoken in a year. We hadnt had an arguement, nothing happened...we just didnt speak.

I called a few times, left a message...sent birthday and Christmas cards...even wrote a letter. She said she got the cards, but not the letter, which confuses me, because I sent it to the same address.

Anyhow...my sis is a doll, but she is aggressive. I think she was feeling like me...bad...about not speaking. She operates on the "best defense is an offense" style....and proceeded to give me grief about not contacting her. I didnt have the inclination...no..the energy to say "right back at ya"...and it would have only served to drive a bit of a wedge and I didnt want that. I love her very much, and I know she loves me, so we will just call it a draw. Now...I will call her this coming weekend, and we can have a pleasant chat.

I have started tormenting my husband to move away from where we currently live. Its an extremely unhealthy place...at least for me. We have about 16, 000 people in our community. Its certainly not big enough to have the kind of crime that we experience. Since last November, we have had several murders, and 3 rapes. One of those rapes was a lovely 22 year old girl that was almost killed during the attack. Her rapist implaled her with a crowbar, and these rapes are apparently an initiation process for young gang members. We now have several gangs who have moved their business here, due to money in this community. Our town has one of the highest standards of living in the country...due to high wages. Because the mines pay so much, every other business also has to pay higher wages. Imagine a student earning 15.00 per hour at McDonalds!

Last week, not far from here, a young man was beheaded on the greyhound bus. Its made international news, so some may have heard. Its the stuff of nightmares...and I can hardly even imagine such a thing. Obviously, the man who did this is mentally ill. Now...folks will start talking about how we should all be locked up. I had someone tell me last Friday, that the person was probably bipolar! I didnt know what to say....or what to do. There are so many people who just have no idea about mental illness...what it is, what it isnt. They dont understand that a mentally ill person is more apt to be harmed....than to harm someone else. It does happen of course, as we see from last weeks events....but its not as often as folks think.

Anyhow...I really hope that there isnt a backlash now, against those of us who have bipolar, schizophrenia...or other illnesses. Time will tell.

Ugh...not much news...and rereading my post, I am not even sure I should leave it up. I will .....I know that you will understand that I just had to get it out.

Laurie

6 comments:

Kahless said...

{{{{{Laurie}}}}}

If you dont mind me saying, please dont be so self conscious about your blog posts.


They are great.

You are great.

I sincerely mean that.


{{{hugs}}}

Emma said...

Thanks for sharing. It sounds like you're right on about needing to move. And remember - this is your blog, so write what you want! We'll be here to read it!

Deb said...

Yes, please write what you need to for yourself first of all.

I found this post interesting and disturbing. I can see why you'd want to move. What does your hubby say about it?

As for the stigma of mental illness, I doubt that's something that will ever completely go away. I think though that blogs like ours which speak the truth about our personal struggles with mental illnesses can make a difference in enlightening society, one person at a time, as to what it's really all about.

Beauty
bdreamer.squarespace.com

jumpinginpuddles said...

thankyou for all your support on our blog and in our life

your blog was good and it wasnt triggering at least for us, if it isnt safe for you as fdar as environment then you have a right to feel you need to move.

jumpinginpuddles said...

dear laurie,
i hope you are ok as you havent written for a while.
from Amelia

nippercatshome said...

You can write whatever you want on your blog. this is my first time here, and I think it is a great blog. don't be so hard on yourself.

And your right, people just don't understand mental illness. They think that anyone who is mentally ill, must be "crazy" when we know this as not being true. I live in southern Ontario, and Toronto has a lot of crime also, as do many other cities. take care, and write whatever you want...Mary