Thursday, August 21, 2008

Remembrances

I have been reading this morning, some of the blogs I frequent. Specifically, Enola and Beautiful Dreamer.

Both of these ladies have jogged, or perhaps jarred is the word, my memories and feelings. This isn't a bad thing, as I realize that I tend to shove things away somewhere, and they surface at very inopportune times. For example, I am leaving next Wednesday to return to my home province, family and friends. Its usually at those times that I struggle.

Perhaps if I write some of this down, it wont happen, or it wont be so bad as to once again make me look to be so off kilter. My reactions to home and to family are strange sometimes, and of course I have never explained why. The reasons are many, but the main one is fear. Fear that I wont be believed by them...or that what I say will alienate them. Why should I care? I live far away, and I have a right to heal....no? Nice words I suppose, but I am still afraid.

Enola talked about food issues. For many years I drove everyone who cares about me crazy because of it. I starved myself, or I threw up everything I ate. Truly, I dont know how I functioned, and yet I did.

I did more than function....I excelled. An over achiever to beat all over achievers...thats me. It looked like I had the world at my feet...like I had it all together, and yet here I was starving myself, almost killing myself.

The first time I knew for sure, why I had the problem I had, was when my mother and I were visiting my brother and his family. My brother yelled at his daughter at the dinner table, and I sent a glass of water flying, as I choked and gagged. I ran away from the table humiliated, and my mother followed me. She started to cry, as did I, and she told me she knew exactly what the problem was, and in that instant, so did I.

Meals as a kid were horrifying. It started with my dad, who chose that time of day to tell us what we had done wrong that day. Being sensitive, I could always feel my bottom lip start to quiver. He would look right at me, and tell me that if I cried, I was to leave the table. I dont know how many kids could sit there and not cry after that. I would leave the table, hungry.

We had to eat even what we didnt like. My mother tried to ensure that she cooked accordingly, but sometimes he wanted things we didnt like. I left the table, hungry.

Later, my step father came along. He was a brute. He was so abusive I cant even begin to tell you. He bought foods we were NOT allowed to have. Danger danger danger, to anyone who touched anything like that!

On many occasions he up ended our table. He didnt like how his steak was cooked...my mother said something he didnt like...on and on and on.

There was sexual abuse too. Various people from the age of 3 that I can remember. There are somethings I cant look at, let alone put in my mouth, and that is all I will say about that.

Enola talked about mouth noises at the table, and boy, can I relate to that! I hate it...drives me crazy, and keeps me from enjoying a meal with many different people.

Beauty talked about not feeling like she has a home. I worked for a long time with the homeless population in Toronto. Even though I had a home, and the things that went along with that, I often felt like I was homeless. I think its a state of mind more than anything else. A sense of belonging is so important to human beings.

I was always so sensitive, so different from my sister and brothers, that I was often made fun of. Once my parents divorced they remarried...and I didnt feel like I belonged in either home. My step father was sexually, physically and emotionally abusive, and my step mom, outright told me, that she didnt want me around. Oh, it was different when I was an adult, then I was the one she called to take her places....to do do do for her. And stupid me, I wanted to belong, so I did it!

I know that feeling of not belonging so well. The only time and place I have not felt it, is here...where I live now, so far away from everyone. My husband, 2 dogs and I. I feel like I belong here.

I'm feeling a bit of rage right now. Its not right, and its not fair. I should feel that I belong with my sister, and with my brothers. I should feel just as good as them...that I am worth just as much, and I dont. That is the cold dark truth, and I dont know what to do to change that fact.

Its been a long while since this has bubbled up...and its probably good that its happening now. I realize...this is what happens....exactly what I feel, every time I go home. Maybe I can get it out of my system before heading home.

7 comments:

Kahless said...

Do you have to go 'home?' You birth family dont sound like they should e called 'home.'

Do you have to go there?

Casey said...

Kahless...my husband has family there too. His nephew is getting married, and he is close to him. They have a little boy who has cancer, and we have yet to meet him.

I debated not going, but that means my fella would have to drive for 2 days by himself. He doesnt really understand why I feel the way I do about things, and I have been stuffing it for so long.

Truthfully, I have thought about seeing if he would go alone...he could fly. I tested it a little last night, and will do a little more testing tonight.

Kahless said...

Can you share why you dont want to go and what feelings it is evoking for you.

Casey said...

K..he and I have had discussions, although not really in depth. I have told him some, and what I have told him evokes disgust. His thinking is that I tell them all to go hell.

He cant however, seem to grasp, that even being in close proximity brings up all kinds of stuff. He hasnt dealt with any of this in his own life...how can he really understand I suppose.

Its not black and white or cut and dried for me I guess. I love my brother and his family. This is the part of the family that lives in the town where the wedding is. The problem is, that is also where my step dad lives. Since my mom died, I have not been to his home, and will never go again. The difficulty comes in when I get all the questioning. Why dont you call? Why dont you come home more? Will you move back.

Those things, and just the general yukkiness I feel when I am there. Its more anger than anything else, and frustration. Frustration because I dont have the courage to say what I need to say.

Thats why I was so intrigued with the work you were doing with your T in regards to your relationship with your parents. I was excited for you to be able to have answers or at the very least put some closure on things. I wish I had some of your strength.

There is also a huge part of me that feels so ashamed K. As a social worker who has worked in the mental health field for many years...I often felt like my clients had more on the ball than I did. At least they were attempting to deal with things, and not stuff it.

I really need to do something about this. Thankyou Kahless...for being interested.

Laurie

Kahless said...

I think you might like reading this website here

The link is to readers mail. People sharing experiences. I have read several of Alice Millers books.

Deb said...

I couldn't for anything in the world go to any kind of family get together. There are several individuals with whom I've severed all ties. If the get together were to take place in the town in which I grew up, it would simply slay me.

You are courageous to even think of going. I understand how things aren't always cut and dried or black and white. Thus, the agony. If you could hate your family, it would be easier in a sense. But they are your true origins, like it or not, and those roots go deep.

I have trouble just visiting my sister, and she and I get along great. But there is always a lot of emotional baggage between us, stuff neither of us wants to bring up. Sometimes, oh sometimes I feel like I could kill our relationship with one or two misplaced sentences. That if she were to say this, or that to me, my response would be pure rage.

I hope that never happens. I hope that you either decide you just can't make this trip, or if you do, that you can think in advance of possible answers to so many nosy questions.

Would it help if you were to try and see yourself objectively as one of your own clients? How would you counsel someone with your troubles?

Please keep in touch, let us know how you're doing. My thoughts and prayers will be with you.

Beauty
bdreamer.squarespace.com

nippercatshome said...

Im so sorry you are going through this, its not right, and you are right that you should be able to go home and be with your sisters. Its so unfair. take care, and good luck..Mary