Saturday, November 14, 2009

My beloved Finnegan

It has taken me 3 days to write this post. Those of you who know me a little from blogging, know that I have...or rather had 2 dogs. Finnegan was a miniature poodle..smart as could be. Casey is a Shi Tsu, smart as well, but very stubborn.

These dogs were my life saver, during times of depression especially. Yes, I have a husband, but when I could not even talk...or if I was afraid of saying exactly what I was thinking, I had my girls to pet and share all my secrets with.

Finn was hit by a car on Nov. 11. In all likelyhood, she was unaware, and was killed instantly. She bolted through my legs as I was coming in from going to the grocery store. Mike was outside, and immediately called for her to come home. Because she listened so well....she tried to do just that. She ran quickly across the road, just as a car came and she went right under the back wheels. What hurst so badly, is the driver did not even stop.

Mike spent an hour in the garage alone with her...as she loved him best of everybody. He adored her too...as did I, but she really was his dog. Casey, the other dog, is pining, and grieving badly. I finally got her to eat, and to sit for one of her favourite bisquits today, and I gave her Finn's stuffed elephant. Casey never played with it before, but she has been toting it from room to room today.

The big news and the most frightening for me, is Mike will be having open heart surgery next Thurs. We are both scared, but we have immense trust in the cardiac surgeon. He is an aggressive young man...but not in the least arrogant. With physicians the two usually go hand in hand, but this fellow is different. Please...those of you who pray...please do so for Mike...for those of you who do not...just give him a thought or 2 next week.

I saw my pdoc. My meds are changed. I have sisnce noticed a slight change, but I know it will take it awhile before they are working at full effect. I am confident this will work, as the rapid cycling has just got to stop. I cannot tolerate it any longer...nor can the people who have to be involved with me.

Thats it I guess. I want to go to sleep early tonight. I have kitchen cupboards to clean tomorrow, and I hate that job more than anything.

Love to you all.

Laurie

8 comments:

Kahless said...

I am so sorry about Finn, and also that Casey is grieving so badly. Is it worth considering getting her a new pal?

I hope your husbands surgery goes well. I bet both of you are terrified. Please keep us updated with what happens.
xx.

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Your life is having so much drama these days. I hope in a couple of weeks you will have some quite uneventful time to yourself.

It is so painful to lose a pet violently. I know how you feel. Years ago when my son was an older teenager he got a lovely pup. Not long after it was struck on the road in front of our house as he was watching. I never saw anyone so distressed. "They have killed my dog!" he repeated over and over again and he wandered around in agony. The dog died shortly after and we buried it in a special spot. Luckily my son had to go away for a couple of weeks. When he came back he was still upset and I would see him standing by the grave. I felt so badly for him.
It was a bitter lesson in how life can be snatched away.

I certainly will be thinking of the open heart surgery. Having never had major surgery I can only imagine the anxiety of waiting for it. I understand the success rate is very good. All my best wishes and care for you and your family.

I enjoyed having you visit my website. I did not know you were from these parts. If you are near hear call me by all means, I am in the book as a one of. I would enjoy meeting you and sharing a coffee.

Casey said...

Kahless....I am considering a new pal for Casey. For some reason...it feels like a betrayal to Finn...but I know that it would be good for all our little family..furry one included.

Mike is a fisherman, hunter and all round outdoorsman. Once this surgery is taken care of and his health returns...(by all accounts if all goes well he will feel better than he has for a few years now) I am going to speak with him about getting the dog of his dreams. He loves golden labs. I think this would be an excellent choice for his lifestyle, and I would not mind having a big dog. Casey is so easy going, that she would be happy just to have a pal to torment.

Philip...thank you. By all means you can expect a visit from me. Like I said to you...I find you a very interesting soul...someone I could have excellent conversation with. Thank you for allowing it.

Laurei

Casey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jumpinginpuddles said...

we are also sorry for your loss and we hope your hubbys surgery goes so well hes back on his feet before you know it

Ethereal Highway said...

Hi, Laurie. Life has been hard lately, I know, but I'm glad you are hanging in there and taking care of yourself. Keep hanging in. I think you are doing the right things and I look forward to hearing that Mike is well. (My husband's father had terrible heart disease and had open heart surgery at a surprisingly young age. He lived to be an old man and he was out and about with his wife until the last week or two of his life. Keep that in mind, okay? There is hope. Lots and lots of hope.)

Ethereal Highway said...

How are you, Laurie? How is Mike? I've been thinking of you.

jumpinginpuddles said...

hoping youre ok